When the last remaining areas of the old Glencoe Estate came up for sale, it was
widely thought that a community buyout was the only option. However the sellers wished
the land to remain as it was, and when two communities put their proposals forward
they were rejected, and with a very short time to take action, MacDonald contacted
friends and family, who kindly offered him loans to cover the asking price of just
over £105,000 pounds.
In an eleventh hour bid, with just six donors, he took the unprecedented step of
securing the land for future generations to enjoy.
When the complex title deeds were signed, the Glencoe Heritage Trust, a charitable,
not for profit trust was formed.
The land bought comprises of:
a half share of the ancient Burial Isle, Eilean Munde, on Loch Leven, traditional
burial place of the MacDonalds of Glencoe, also Camerons, MacInnes’s and MacIntyres,
along with other named clanspeople.
100 acres of crofters common grazings, including the 18th century ruined Corn Mill,
formerly the Mill of Glencoe.
The largest stretch of the River Coe.
Broad-leaved woodlands in the lower reaches of the glen
Netting rights on Loch Leven.
Three days a week fishing on Loch Triachtan.
These lands were formerly part of the old Glencoe Estate which was owned by a succession
of MacDonald Chiefs. From the chief slain in the Massacre of 1692, down to Archibald
Burns MacDonald, who sold the estate to Lord Strathcona in 1894 (see history page)
Mr MacDonald secured funding of temporary unsecured loans in an eleventh hour bid
to safeguard the land. He did this to ensure that the history, wildlife and scenic
areas of Glencoe are safeguarded for the future.
Charitable Trust No: SC 033081.
Recently awarded SCIO - “Scottish Charitable Independent Organisation” from OSCR